Create Wikipedia plugin
|Reported by:||joshdoe||Owned by:||simon04|
Especially in light of the recent development of WIWOSM, it would be great to have a plugin to facilitate the adding of wikipedia tags to OSM objects, and to aid in debugging problems such as incorrect wikipedia tags (e.g. use of redirects). There could be several components to this plugin:
- Layer displaying locations of Wikipedia articles, similar to how the MapDust and OpenStreetBugs plugins work. This requires an API for Wikipedia data (which may exist already, see how WikiMiniAtlas works), serving up article names and coordinates. This layer can also show arrows connecting Wikipedia articles and the corresponding OSM object. Also highlight objects which have malformed wikipedia tags (another API required), similar to validation.
- Dialog to search for Wikipedia articles based on the name of selected OSM objects. This is particularly for articles which don't have coordinates but should have corresponding OSM objects. Dialog will show the top X matches, upon selection a snippet of the article will be shown (linking to full site), and upon verification a wikipedia tag will automatically be added to the OSM object.
- Convenience functions, such as generating coord template text for pasting into Wikipedia articles (see #7442).
One thing I'm not sure is how to handle languages, since the OSM name tag can be in any language, so I don't know how searching will work.
Change History (4)
comment:3 Changed 14 months ago by simon04
- Component changed from Plugin to Plugin wikipedia
- Owner changed from team to simon04