How to run JOSM from an USB stick (on a Windows system)
Run JOSM on a "foreign" Windows machine without installation or a JAVA machine installed on it!
portableApps offers a method to install a JAVA machine on an USB stick, so you can run JAVA .jar files on a foreign machine without further installation. Once this is installed on the stick, you can run a normal josm-tested.jar/josm-latest.jar with it. All personal files (like the settings, plugins) will be stored on the stick. You will need ~140MB free space on your USB stick.
To have your personal JOSM always with you ...
Stick in your USB stick
Ok, this part was easy! :-)
Download and install the "PortableApps.com Suite"
From http://portableapps.com/download download the platform only (3MB) and run the .exe file.
The installer will ask for a target drive, choose your USB stick base directory (in the following, we will assume g:\ is used).
Download and install "Java Portable"
From http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/java_portable download and run the .exe file.
This installation may take a while.
Please note: The installer will download the Java engine, so you'll need an Internet connection while doing the installation!
Download and install "Java Portable Launcher"
From http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/java_portable_launcher download and install the .exe file.
Download and save "josm-tested.jar" on your USB stick
You can replace 'josm-tested' with 'josm-latest' if you like living on the edge. The difference should be self-explanatory - if it isn't, stick with josm-tested.
Remove the USB stick
- If you have any applications accessing the content of your USB drive (e.g. explorer showing g:\), close them
- There should be a PortableApps.com icon in your taskbar (usually at the bottom right of the screen), right click on it and choose exit
- Use Windows "Safely remove hardware" to throw out the stick (as usual for USB devices)
Start JOSM from the stick
- Stick in your USB stick
- If autorun is enabled, "Start PortableApps.com" should appear, please start it
- If nothing happens, just start g:\Start.exe directly
- The PortableApps menu should appear, select "Java Portable Launcher"
- Choose josm-tested.jar (in our example at
- JOSM should start up as usual
If you've closed JOSM, you can restart it from the PortableApps.com icon in your taskbar. To remove the stick, close a running JOSM and follow the "Remove the USB stick" instructions as above.
Preferences, Plugins and alike
Essentially you now have a "fresh JOSM installation" on your stick (in parallel to any pre-existing JOSM on the computer). A JOSM started from the stick will load and save all settings, plugins and alike from/to the USB stick. Remember to enter your user account, adjust settings and download the required plugins.
In case you want to know, all personal files will go to:
Have fun with your portable JOSM!