GUI usability: incorrect position/layout of selector lists of comboboxes in the popup dialogs when Editting an attribute
|Reported by:||verdy_p@…||Owned by:||team|
When editing an attribute value, we can double-click on it from the attribute pane (for example in the value field of a "name" attribute).
This opens a popup dialog which is always centered on screen.
But if we attempt to enter anything in one of the two edit fields of the combo boxes, the selector list popups, but its height is maximized so that it can be as high as the full screen height.
This list is displayed above the edit field which is vertically near the center of the screen, but the selector list which is about the height of the screen is then positioned so that the highest part of it now gets OUT OF SCREEN (above the visible part).
The problem manifests when the list of values if large (for example when editing the value of a "name" tag).
This makes the selector unusable as we can't see the actual value to select (and notably not the first entries in the list which contain bold values used in the current selection of edited objects ).
The only workaround is to open the edit popup dialog (that always appear centered vertically) then manually moving the popup down to the bottom of the screen before editing the fields in the combos.
This workaround is still bad, not easy. It would be safer to either :
- limit the height of the selector so that it won't go out of screen (when the dialog is centered vertically, this maximum height is only about HALF the screen height); or
- allow the selector to appear on top of the editable field of the combo, only if no other value is possible than those being edited), or
- shift the selector list horizontally so that it won't hide the editable field of the combo.
I tend to prefer the first solution which is more natural, even if this limits the height of the selector list (but this list is still scrollable vertically).
Note that the selector list of the comobo may appear below or above the edit field of the combo, depending on its vertical position : which position to use will depend only on the vertical position of the edit field relative to the vertical middle of the screen.
So here are my two requests about this:
- BUG/DEFECT: Can you adjust this maximum height of the selector list in these editable combo boxes to make them usable in the existing popup dialogs ? -- This is the 1st priority.
- RFE: Also, couldn't these popup dialogs be avoided by editing attributes (key or value) directly within the "Attributes" pane (on the right of the map) -- This is a second priority.