Visually improve the search dialog
|Reported by:||simon04||Owned by:||team|
As the list of possible search key words steadily increases, the search dialog gets longer and less clear.
Some ideas how to improve on that:
- Often, the keywords are self-explanatory. Thus, move the description to a tooltip.
- Keywords need to be copied from the label to the search field. Thus, insert the keyword on click.
- Some keywords logically belong together. Thus, show them in a group (e.g., by same color).
- Often, examples are easier to understand than abstract definitions. Thus, show a usage example (e.g., for child/parent). Colour the example part of a keyword differently.
- For some keywords, one can find icons to illustrate their meaning.
This screenshot is from a test implementation. I'm definitively no expert in the GridBagLayout ;-) (I'd like all boxes to move to the left as far as possible without this grid-like look). I'll attach the code for completeness (and not to lose it). Clearly, it needs several improvements.
What do you think?
Change History (29)
comment:3 Changed 17 months ago by simon04
- Summary changed from [dirty patch as proof of concept] Visually improve the search dialog to [patch] Visually improve the search dialog
comment:10 in reply to: ↑ 2 ; follow-up: ↓ 11 Changed 17 months ago by joshdoe
- Cc joshdoe added
Changed 16 months ago by simon04
comment:17 Changed 16 months ago by simon04
- Summary changed from [patch] Visually improve the search dialog to Visually improve the search dialog